Friday, April 24, 2009

A very gross habit...Please help.

Okay so having 4 kids means having lots of habits, some good, some bad. Courtney decided to start a new thing about a week ago though that is very much disgusting so if any of you have some good advice for me on how to get her to stop it would be greatly appreciated! Last Saturday (my sleep in day) Josh was feeding the kids breakfast when he noticed Courtney wasn't swallowing her food but holding it in her mouth. He tried to get her to swallow, spit and even open her mouth and she would have nothing to do with it. So an hour later I wake up and he tells me we have a problem and Courtney isn't swallowing her oatmeal he fed her over an hour before. He was to the point of throwing up cause it was grossing him out when it would drool out. I didn't think anything of it until I tried to get her to open her mouth and she refused. I finally forced my way in and wiped it out with a cloth and she swallowed. I thought she might have forgotten how to swallow because she was so happy when she could finally open her mouth and talk. It happened again a few days later and also again last night when we had fish sticks and potatoes. She had had it in there for a while and it was nearing bed time so we tried to bribe her with a marshmallow but she ate that too and it got mixed in with the lovely goop that was already in there. It was very gross watching it drool out and she isn't very happy with us trying to get it out. Eventually we succeeded but we definitely need help on moving her past this little "phase" in her life. Suggestions?

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hmmm... I don't know what to tell you! But, you are supermom and there is no challenge that you can't meet!:)

Anonymous said...

I babysit a little girl, who is 3, on wednesdays and fridays and she would do this with her food. She doesn't do it as much anymore. She would eat lunch and keep her cheese in her mouth and wouldn't swallow it. At nap time, it would still be in there and I would try and get it out and she wouldn't open her mouth. I talked to her mom about it and she said that she does it all the time, especially at dinner time (whenever she ate meat she would keep it in her mouth) Her mom said that she could get her to swallow when she would give her a piece of bread. For me, I think I would bribe my kid with something. I would have some m&m's or something and say, "I'll give you one of these if you swallow all your food all gone." or something. I'm a big fan of bribery. =o) Good luck. Let me know what happens.

Abby said...

Ali told me I had to get on here and read your last few posts. Im sorry and Im sure you dont want to hear this but that is the funnest story I have ever heard. Literally had me crying... with that said I agree with the bribery. Good luck. ;)