Thursday, July 12, 2012

Craft Day

You know that day in summer where everyone is just plain Bored? Well we hit that day a few days ago. Even I was going stir crazy. It has been way too hot outside to do anything and you can only go shopping with four kids so many times- if you know what I mean. So I did the only thing I could think of and got online to find me some fun summer activities for kids. Yesterday we kept pretty busy and Isaac even let everyone know at the end of the day that he didn't even tease his sisters ALL day. (That's a first!!) Now I know that all I have to do is have a million crafts and fun ideas to do and the kids will be perfect angels :). In the morning we made some homemade play-doh. I have never made successful play-doh but this recipe is awesome and even I didn't mess it up!
Here's the simplest recipe ever: 1 C. water, 1 C. flour, 1/4 cup salt, 1 T. vegetable oil, 2 tsp. cream of Tartar and food coloring. Put everything into pot on medium heat stirring constantly till playdoh forms. Plop onto counter or I used a cutting board and let cool for a few min. Then knead the dough till it looks like the picture above. :)
The next thing we did was make homemade bubbles. I had the kids make their own wands with some pipe cleaner and cut the ends off a couple water bottles (courtesy of pinterest)
Then we headed off to the stores to pick up some materials for our other activities but had to make a pit stop at 7-11 to pick up our FREE Slurpee for free slurpee day. While we were in the craft store we saw a mother/kid craft time and we happened to be there at the right time so the younger three made a pirate puppet.
The craft store was having a summer clearance sale so I picked up a bucket of beads. The kids wanted to get started on their bead projects right away. Isaac figured out how to follow the instructions to make animal shapes (without my help at all) and worked on this cobra for a few hours. He was pretty proud of himself and I was pretty impressed that he made it all by himself.
We also made this fun little track and the kids enjoyed racing their play-doh balls down.
The kids should hopefully keep themselves occupied for the next 5 days or so without complaining of boredom (we will be spending 3 of those days in Bear Lake). I also have the other supplies we will be using for more craft adventures. Stay Tuned...

1 comment:

Downtown Browns said...

Very fun and Crafty!!! Great job!! Random question...
What was the picture of the Karo Syrup and Dawn Soup for?