Monday, August 22, 2011

Camping

This last weekend we got a few other families from our ward and headed camping for the night. We had a lot of fun- especially now that the kids are getting older and don't require constant care. The kids were so excited about this trip because a) the word "camping" just sounds fun b) they got to sleep in a tent- which by the way we may have out grown since our last camping trip 2 years ago and c)their friends were going to be there with them.

The weather was cloudy all day friday with a 40% chance of Thunderstorms that night so we were wondering if the weather was going to work out for the kids playing at the lake the next day. It ended up being perfect weather. It was such a nice get a way where reality doesn't exist. Sometimes those times are just needed in this crazy world we live in.




This little one is the cutest little thing. She gave her parents a run for their money by staying up till 11pm when her bedtime is 6pm and then waking up at her normal time of 6am. Josh and I had a good laugh watching her parents struggle with her and their other 2 monkeys (not because we are mean like that but because we have "been there done that" and it was nice to finally not have it be us dealing with it :). I think I was also grateful I didn't have to worry about my kids eating the sand and anything else they could find.



Whenever we have gone camping in the past we have had problems with the bathrooms. My kids do not like port a potties. They stink, they are nasty and my kids think they are going to fall down in them. So we purchased one of these bad boys this summer and let me just tell you what a life saver it was on this camping trip for three reasons 1) Our campsite was on the bottom of the hill from where the bathroom was 2) it was a port a potty and 3) it may have rained a little overnight (or a lot) and there was thunder and lightning for quite a while throughout the night. Our Court gets up a few times a night to use the bathroom and so did another one of our munchkins- thankfully we had this in the tent so I didn't have to take them outside in the crazy weather and hike up the hill etc etc :).

We had a good time but I wish that the whole putting away after camping wasn't such an ordeal. We were gone one night and I had 4 loads of laundry to do when we got back!
Good times.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Fun Fun! I wonder if that little cutie is Joslyns age because all she could do was eat sand as well (on our camping trip)

I think I did laundry for two solid weeks after we got back..I guess that's why we only go once a year!!

Oh and it was chilly this morning (55) but it warmed right up this afternoon so they came home with their sweatshirts in their backpacks and wishing they were wearing shorts. :)

Mary said...

That looks like so much fun! Hope you guys come out here so we can go camping with you too! Love you!

Ginger said...

The pottie was a brilliant idea!! I bet the kids loved that they didn't have to go out in the storm also.