Isaac got a little sick this past week. At first Josh and I thought nothing of it and sent him off to school thinking he would be fine once he got there. (He woke up complaining of a headache and sore throat). He didn't look so good but he didn't complain about us sending him off. They get out a few hours early on Wednesday (thank goodness) and when I saw him after school he looked terrible! He couldn't really move his head and he was talking a lot quieter. The next few days got worse. He couldn't move his head side to side or up and down. It was permanantely in the down position. He cried every time he had to get up and go to the bathroom because it hurt so bad to move. He wanted us to cuddle him but once we touched him he couldn't take it. He spent a lot of time sleeping. Josh thought it was probably the flu since he had all the symptoms of it but started thinking differently when he complained of his neck hurting a lot. Friday night we couldn't take it anymore and thank goodness for a late opened pediatricians office, they got him in right away. He looked awful as he was walking out the door. His chest was puffed out and the way he was walking just scared me pretty bad so of course I started to cry cause we had no idea what was wrong.
About forty five minutes later I get a phone call from Josh telling me that Isaac had strep throat but he also had an infection in his adenoid(?) glands. They did a check of his white blood cell count and what should have been under 10,000 was up to 30,000. (Josh told me it must be bad because a PA checked him out but quickly went and got a doctor to re-check him) So they had to give him two big antibiotic shots in his thigh. They wanted us to sleep by him that night to make sure he was breathing okay and then we were to bring him in the next day to check him again and make sure he was getting better so they didn't have to admit him to the hospital. I made a quick phone call to my family and they all said many prayers in his behalf. I was expecting a huge miracle right after the antibiotic shots (like when he had pneumonia) but the next morning he was still pretty sick. My family all called to check on him and see how he was doing and I kept telling them that he was doing a little better (he could lift his head for the first time about an inch). Anyway about a half an hour after I got done talking to them he goes up stairs and starts playing with his sisters. (He hadn't been able to do anything for the past 3 days, so to see him up and walking and singing made me a little emotional and I just had to go give him a big hug.) He wasn't even doing that much better but to see him getting better was amazing. He went to the doctor later and his white blood cell count had gone down to 24,000. It was obviously still extremely high but since it had gone down a little they didn't need to admit him and just gave him antiobiotics.
He is back at school today and doing so much better. He has his fiesty self back but he is also being a lot nicer. It was a scary few days but I am sooo glad everything worked out and that I have a loving Heavenly Father who watches out for us always. I am also grateful for my husband who was able to give him a blessing and for a loving extended family who were right there praying and checking in the whole time. We could feel their love. For some reason, having an extremely sick little boy makes you re-think life and relationships. You just never know what is going to happen!
On a more happier note....
We knew Isaac was getting better when he wanted to go to the store and buy something with his money. He ended up buying himself a book about balloon figures and a bunch of balloons. So last night Josh was busy busy busy. He started out with some simple things and then got more and more complex. I was pretty impressed...
It was a fun little thing to buy except now I have balloon things all over the house and I think it created a balloon making monster out of Josh. (As long as he doesn't quit his day job I guess he can keep it as a hobby.) :)
5 comments:
I'm so glad he is feeling better! Those balloon creations are awesome.
How do you like your new shoes? I've been thinking about getting some like that.
Make sure you bring that book! I'm sure all the cousins will love Josh! He did a great job!
That's great that Josh has a backup plan in case that whole endodontic thing doesn't work out.
That is a wonderful reminder of how we are so watched over on earth and from Heaven.
Thank you,
Love the balloons, great suggestion keep the day job ;.)
We are so glad Isaac is ok! And really looking forward to all the balloon fun next week:)
Post a Comment